Jesus said these words about the importance of truly knowing God and what is true if you do:
“And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” John 17:3
Eternal life – what is that?
Sadly in our world many think they will live for ever, especially those who are younger.
However if for a few minutes anyone is really honest with themselves, they must, at some
point face their own death. No one, after all lives forever. So what is this eternal life?
How can I know God personally? What does it mean to
know God. Jesus says in this part of the Bible, that those who know God have eternal life. The word literally
means life that is unlimited in length. In other words this life is unending or has no death that is a part
of this life. In other words, if Jesus gives us this life, that is based on my knowing God then it is a life
where I don’t ever have to worry about death. It is of no concern anymore. It will never end.
In other passages Jesus referred to God as His Father. In this passage He simply calls Him “God.”
We know that in other Scriptures the Holy Spirit of God is called God as well.
So knowing God means to know Him as He is revealed in the pages of Holy Scriptures – the Bible!
Your main goal in life should be to know the one who created you. That is only possible through Jesus, God’s Son.
Acts 4:12 says this, “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” The ‘this name’ part is about the person, the one who was born as a man but who also already existed as the Eternal Son of God – namely Jesus Christ! Jesus paid the price that no man or woman could ever hope to pay – a perfect life laid down as a sacrifice for sin. Yes, Jesus came not only to live but to die on the cross and pay the penalty of sin for every person. That includes you and me. Below are some other helpful Scriptures that shed light on what God has done and where we fit in.
- God created and owns everything, including you. – Genesis 1:1, Psalm 24:1
- God is perfectly holy. – Matthew 5:48
- God requires your perfect obedience to His law. – James 2:10
- You have broken God’s law. – Romans 3:10; 23
- You will pay the eternal penalty for your sin. – Romans 6:23
- You cannot save yourself by your good works. – Titus 3:5
- Christ came to earth as both God and sinless man. – Colossians 2:9
- Christ demonstrated His love by dying on the cross to pay sin’s penalty. – Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Christ rose from the grave and is alive today. – 1 Corinthians 15:4
- You must repent of all that dishonors God. – Isaiah 55:7; Luke 9:23
- You must believe in Christ as Lord and Savior, and be willing to follow after Him. – Romans 10:9
The key in all of these passages of the Bible has one common theme…it requires no work, only faith! In fact the Bible says that without faith it is impossible to please God. All you must do is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ – turning away from sin and towards God – believing that what Jesus has done is all you need to cling to and rely on for salvation. When a person places their full confidence in Jesus – He is born again! God comes to live in him and begins to change him from the inside out. If that is what you would like to do – please call us today! We would love to talk with you.
The church office phone number is 778-3148 and the parsonage number is 778-3990. We would love to hear what God is doing in you!
God bless you!